Aims of the Faculty
The primary aim of the Faculty is producing engineers of the highest quality who, with experience, should be able to hold responsible positions at the highest levels of the profession, possessing the wisdom to recognise their own limitations in the face of new developments and the necessary skills to benefit from continuing professional development.The programme of study offered by the Faculty is dedicated to develop in each student:
* The technical and scientific skills and the creativity required to solve all aspects of engineering problems.
* An understanding of the human interaction with the environment so that the impact of engineering activity can be assessed.
* The ability to direct and manage engineering activities.
* The ability to communicate with members of other professions, administrators, workers and members of the public.
* The desire and ability for continuing self-education and reappraisal of current practice, including the ability to innovate.
* The ability to evaluate and criticise constructively one's own work and the work of other engineers.
In order to fulfill these aims, the students are offered well designed modules that provide:
* A sound knowledge of the fundamentals of engineering science with an appreciation of their application to contemporary problems .
* An understanding of the principles of the scientific method and practice in their application.
* An understanding of the principles of design and practice with an appreciation of the industrial environment and the socioeconomic conditions under which the industry operates.
* Training and practice in many forms of communication.
* Training in the techniques of acquiring information by personal study, experimentation and discussion.
* An opportunity to develop creativity.
While the fundamentals of engineering remain largely unchanged, our modules also reflect the rapid changes in modern engineering advancements. As the technical content of the courses in itself is not sufficient to tackle engineering problems, an opportunity is provided throughout the courses to develop the intellectual and communicative abilities among the students.
The department of Electrical and Information Engineering (DEIE) commenced a new specialization program, named as Computer Engineering which takes an intake of 200 students per year.
Congratulations to Prof. Chaminda Karunasena, for being appointed as an Honorary Adjunct Professor of QUT in the Faculty of Engineering, School of Mechanical, Medical & Process Engineering for a 2-year period. This award is in recognition of his excellent research and innovation towards the betterment of Science.
Hope this appointment will become a bridging path for international research between Queensland University of Technology and University of Ruhuna.
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering is well enriched with the knowledge and expertise of newly promoted scholarly professors; Professor Tushara Chaminda and Professor K.S. Wanniarachchi. They are praised for their enormous efforts on sharpening skills of future generation and continuous research for the development of the sciences related to the faculty, university and further to the country over the years of excellent service.
Along with Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering is also humbly celebrated its first professorship appointment of Professor H.C.P. Karunasena. He is also an energetic young experienced scholar who continuously engage in industrial projects, research, student capacity building, and knowledge sharing for the betterment of science.
Warmest wishes for the Well-Deserved Success of Newly Appointed Professors!
Team “Aromatic”, a group of talented first year undergraduates of Faculty of Engineering, University of Ruhuna have successfully witnessed continuous victories in recent times. Amongst the numerous achievements, becoming the Semifinalists from “Evolution AI” Ideathon and the 2nd Runners up of “Cyberzee” Hackathon, organized by the University of Kelaniya, and the Most popular team in “Aurora” Hackathon which is organized by Society of Computer Science of the University of Sri Jayewardenepura are significant. Congratulations to the Team “Aromatic”.
A group of students from the 22nd Batch, Faculty of Engineering has won the championship of islandwide “Evolution AI”, an Artificial Intelligence Ideathon organized by AIESEC in the University of Kelaniya
The University of Ruhuna debate team emerged as runners up in the Inter-University Debate Competition 2021, which was organized by IESL YMS. In the final, the UoR team represented the opposition in the topic of “Shifting towards 70% renewable energy power by 2030 is feasible, regardless of the current economic standpoint and framework of Sri Lanka”. Congratulations to the UoR debate team.